Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

hello, i have a mk4 1.8tdci mondeo with a strange problem.

Customer Question

hello, i have a mk4 1.8tdci mondeo with a strange problem. the car turns over but will not actually start. sounds like a bag of hammers when it tries to start. it will only start if i push the clutch pedal down a little bit. this is not the keyless model. i have just replaced the camshaft & crankshaft sensors also flywheel and clutch to overcome the problem . (also adjusted the crank sensor max away from the fly wheel and all most touching fly wheel and makes no difference to the starting ) so cant see it would be thrust shims. there was no fault codes stored in the pcm. any help would be appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

does the car crank any faster when you push the clutch pedal down?

also when was it last serviced? and how many miles are on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

car has 75000 on it. dont seem to crank faster but may be slightly faster

was serviced by ford all its life last was 9000 miles ago when it also had the latest softwhere update

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Nigel

I'm sorry to say that I can't think of anythign else so I'll open this back to other experts

good luck

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when you asked me does the car crank any faster when you push the clutch pedal down?

what was you thinking it may be !!!

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Nigel

I was just thinking that the gearbox may have been binding up so preventing the engine from turning quickly enough

so if the cranking speed doens't jump up when the pedal is pushed then its not this

however one other thing that occurs to me is the at there's a clutch pedal switch thats used to help control idle speed and fuelling during a gearshift so its may be worth checking that this is switching as it should as its located at the top of the pedal in the footwell