Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 2007 fiesta and Ive got a smell of fumes in the car.

Customer Question

I have a 2007 fiesta and I've got a smell of fumes in the car. It's not the exhaust; that's been checked. A pipe was loose in the engine and that was 'clicked' back into place two days ago. But the smell is back.....
Category: Ford
Expert:  fordspec replied 4 years ago.

Hi there welcome and thank you for the question hope i can be of some assistance to your problem

Is it a smell of exhaust fumes?

Have you had it in to a dealer?

Kind Regards

Neil

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, it's not exhaust fumes and I've been back to garage twice.

Expert:  fordspec replied 4 years ago.
Can you describe what sort of smell it is?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can only describe it as fumes. It stings my eyes if I don't open the windows. My son and my sister have commented on it so it's not just me. The car was serviced a couple of weeks ago and it was when it came back I noticed it. I've always used the same mechanic and have faith in him but he said on my first return visit that it was the exhaust. Prior to having my service, I had the back part of my exhaust replaced. I did not smell anything after the new part of the exhaust was fitted. I returned to the exhaust place and they checked it carefully and said it was fine. They opened the bonnet and saw that a pipe was loose so the exhaust chappie phoned my mechanic and told him about it and I returned to my mechanic. He saw the loose pipe, and said he had 'clicked' it back in place. I don't know if it's loose again but the fume smell is back.I know little about cars but I'll try to explain what pipe it is. With the bonnet lifted and standing in front of the car , it's quite a thick pipe, right of centre of the car nearer the wind screen. Hope you can help. I'm concerned it might be dangerous.

Expert:  fordspec replied 4 years ago.

Ok then as i can not smell this smell it makes it hard to say exactly what it could be but i will point you in the direct of the two main things that cause this issue so you can have a look, now as both things are to do with the injectors it makes it easy to check at the same time.

The first thing is the fuel leak of pipes that go onto the injectors what happens is the seals split so diesel leaks out around the injector and starts to burn on the top of the head and run down the back of the engine and due to the burning you get a smell and it can hurt the eyes.

The second thing is also to do with the injectors and it is the injector seals that fail this causes the exhaust gases to come past the seals on the head and then it causes a smell and again can hurt the eyes, now if you look at the injectors you can tell straight away if they have gone as there will be lot of black carbon build up around the top of the injectors.

Check these two things and let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards

Neil

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks and apologies for not replying but I've had trouble with the internet. It all sounds like good advice but you need to remember you are dealing with someone who knows little about car engines. Where are the injectors? Tell me that and I'll check them. Thank you.

Expert:  fordspec replied 4 years ago.

The injectors are under the air box on the top of the engine so you will need to remove it to see them there are a few screws and pipes that need to be removed to get it off.

Kind Regards

Neil