Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

plugged in trailer lights but didn t realise the cable had

Customer Question

plugged in trailer lights but didn t realise the cable had been stripped all work lamps are gone
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you on this..

Is it a wiring diagram you need for the 7 pin socket you need on this ?

Rgds, MIKE....................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike no it s not a wiring diagram problem its electrical on the tractor some where i,ve tryed changing relay switches but to no avail what happened was we had temporary lights on the trailer and the cable was left along the floor of the trailer the cable got damaged fused all the wires together the lights were plugged in when the lights were switched on it blew out the work lamps on the tractor checked all the fuses still no lights

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Ivan..

Thank you for your reply.

In that case, you must have a "short" in the wiring system somewhere for this to be happening -

Can you tell me - have you fully checked all through all the wiring - to find the trouble...cause of the trouble - inc the light switches.?

Rgds, MIKE...............................

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No i haven t had the chance to check was hopeing you could direct me to a paticular area

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again - Thank you for your reply...

I understand what you are saying but Im afraid there is no specific area I or anyone could point to for you no, not in this sort of a case.. The initial places to point to in the case of a burn out of the wires would only be to where you can see and follow the wires through.

I have seen a whole car wiring loom with 70 wires in it burn in an "instant" when one person connected up the battery incorrectly - it just burns so fast you simply cannot trace it / put a finger on it - you just have to go through the wiring fully ...as you say in your case, the wires burned - a similar thing has happened. For this to have happened in your case, the cause must have been a shorting to either an earth / metal point somewhere in the wiring on the vehicle - or, between a live and earth wire - so you could check the starting points - but you would have to physically and visually check the wiring through Ivan so that once you have repaired the obvious, on reconnection, the same doesn't happen again. Once you are sure all is put right, you can use a volt meter on "amps" mode to check for continuity of all the wires - and the earth circuits - but ensure you test the live circuits first...

I hope you understand what Im meaning above but do let me know if you need anything else - anything that I can help with more so , Im more than happy too..

I have just re read through what you have said to be sufre I haven't missed anything - and I note you say the cable was left lying - an it got damaged..so thats your point at where the incident was "caused" - so its not like you have to go looking for the cause... its now a case of checking it through as above Ivan and replacing the damaged / burned wiring as found -

Let me know if you need anything else on this -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.