fordspec
fordspec, Ford Technician
Experience:  ford technician
41133646

Hallo, I replaced my door locks and igintion barrel due to

Customer Question

Hallo, I replaced my door locks and igintion barrel due to the old keys becoming worn.Since then the engine fails to start.I have located and disabled the PATS transeiver/ recever behind the passenger side / dash board.And also removed the coller around the barrel.The old key has also been disabled.
According to the haynes maual their is a main ECU immobelsier unit located in the front drivers side foot well.I have removed all fasias and dash board but have not been able to locate this.I have followed all cables connected to the pats unit from source to fuse board unit and then out to engine compartment and have not , again been able to locate main ecu unit.
My new keys are of old skool type and the plastic moulding is of a thinner type with no transmeters in them.
Is there a electricall contact I can by pass in order for the van to start or do vans have the main unit hidden somewhere clever.
Category: Ford
Expert:  fordspec replied 3 years ago.

Hi there welcome and thank you for the question hope i can be of some assistance to your problem

Why are you fitting a lock set that does not have chipped keys instead of fitting a lock set with chipped keys and getting the keys coded?

Kind Regards

Neil

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thats a better plan , I didnt go for that as it will cost , keys and a tow to ford , but I guess as there isent a magic cable I can just pull to cut out thye whole system I will opt for that .Thanks
Expert:  fordspec replied 3 years ago.

The system is quite complicated you can't just pull of the module and it will be ok as the module controls the starter motor and there is a separate unit inside the diesel pump unit so even if you made the starter work the diesel pump unit will still be disabled the best thing you can do is to either go to your local ford dealer and just cut some pats keys and get them coded as there is no need to re change the locks, or to save your self having to tow the vehicle get a auto locksmith to come to where you are and supply and code you some keys.

Kind Regards

Neil