Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

i have a smiley face transit, Diesel, R Reg, went to park up

Customer Question

i have a smiley face transit, Diesel, R Reg, went to park up and it started to make a muffling/miss firing noise with a slight loss of power, parked up and gave it a small rev up and then it started to make a knocking noise with black smoke, turned off the ignition and the engine carried on running for a few seconds,checked all the belts and they are ok, went to restart and now refuses to start, ignition turns over ok but wont actualy start.

Peter
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help / advise you on this..

What is the mileage on the van?

What is its service / recent repair history?

Is this the turbo model?

Have you had ant fault lights on while its been running?

Rgds - MIKE.................................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no turbo and also no fault lights came on

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry, milage 116.000 no service history, i have always changed the oil twice a year filters etc

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Peter -

Thank you for your replies -

Ok- first I need you to check the engine oil - check to see if its high on the dipstick - higher than it should be... and check to see if its contaminated - and / or particularly runny / smelly ?

Do that and get back to me -

Also - check the air filter for condition -

Rgds - MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike

oil still to the top line of the dipstick ,But also i am parked on a very slight hill facing up, Air filter is clean, oil thick in consistency and black, cant really smell anything' just oil, oil fill cap and inside clean and not contaminated, (creamy etc)

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Peter -

Thank you for your reply...

That would tend to rule out several things then...

Given that - and your symptoms, would tend to indicate fuel system trouble then now..

This can be its pump - injector fault... but you need to start by checking the fuel supply to the filter -

You need to remove the filter and check if its full - it should be.. We see collapsed filters sometimes that will cause this - but the other, common issue, would be a fault with the fuel pump body - failing and sucking air ... (The only answer to that is to replace the filter body) Check the filter is fitted tight / properly - they can come adrift - and check the "tap" at the bottom of the filter is tight ( if fitted )

I fear you may need equipment etc to progress with this -I dont know what you have access too or what capabilities you have etc - but we all get to a point where test equipment is needed.

These are not so bad though - you can gravity feed the pump etc to by pass the filter / body if it should come to that to test / rule that out ( or in )... and then of course you are looking at injector or pump trouble if the problem persists - usually the latter..

So thats the way you need to progress on this now. A fuelling issue will cause this - and the knocking noise you mentioned so it needs to be checked.

It would also be worth checking the valve timing -in case of belt trouble. On the very front of the timing bet cover you will see a small circular rubber bung - prise that out and shine a torch in there - If its full of grime - oil or rubber shavings - its a sign of belt well worn / oil contamination - belt trouble etc.. You would then need to remove the cover and check the timing etc ..

So work through as above Peter - Let me know how you get on. I do have to be off for a while now but will be back later / eve if you need anything more.... you can get back to me whenever / anytime though if you need -

>> >> > Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike it turned out to be an injector fault, i got a friend machanic to look at it, not sure he knew what he was doing though, he replaced the pump with a second hand one and he said it wasnt that, i said he should of checked the injectors 1st and he said no it wouldnt be that and turned out it was, he put second hand ones on there, he reckons the bits came to £300 all in £425.00 HE DID SAY IF IT WAS THE PUMP THEN HIS FRIEND HAD A FEW SECOND HAND ONES FOR A £100 EACH, THEN HE SAID IT COST £250 I PESONALY THINK HE STICHED ME. mANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP MIKE.

Kind Regards

Pete