Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

my 2005 transit van made nocking noise and had lack of power

Customer Question

my 2005 transit van made nocking noise and had lack of power and lots of grey smoke,
difficult to start.
local garage replaced four injectors but still has a deisel knock lack of power and difficult to start
please help
Category: Ford
Expert:  fordspec replied 3 years ago.

Hi there welcome and thank you for the question hope i can be of some assistance to your problem

Have you had a diagnoistic computer on the vehicle to read out any fault codes?

Kind Regards

Neil

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the garage tells me that nothing is showing on any faults code

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no faults have shown up

also having email problems as my email was registerd the last time i used this sercive

Expert:  fordspec replied 3 years ago.
Ok then it could just be the machine they are using as non ford machines will not pick up alot of the ford fault codes, are they sure this is diesel knock and not engine knock?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would the old injectors have done any other damage before they were changed

Expert:  fordspec replied 3 years ago.

I wouldn't have thought so it is very rear to see these injectors cause diesel knock, they was a common fault on the 2005 / 2006 built vehicles at the back of the fuel pump to the bottom is a solenoid now this solenoid is the fuel timing solenoid and what use to happen is the solenoid got water into it and would then stick which would cause the fuel timing to advance hence you would get diesel knock, lack of power due to the advance of the fueling and smoke due to the incorrect burning of the fuel so i suspect this is proberely your fault now these can be bought separate to a pump from your ford dealer or from your local diesel specialist, but before you have this replaced just get your mechanic to check the fuel pump timing just to make sure the timing is not out as again there was issues on the 2005 / 2006 models with the timing chain tensors failing and cussing the timing to jump.

Let me know how you get on

Kind Regards

Neil