Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Hi there. I own a 2004 Mk1 ford focus, TDCi, 1.8 litre diesel.

Customer Question

Hi there. I own a 2004 Mk1 ford focus, TDCi, 1.8 litre diesel. Over the last couple of weeks, there's been a squeak/rattle coming from the engine, which corresponds to the engines' idling and rev speed. I think this could be the timing belt or timing chain, but I'm not sure which my car has (belt or chain). If it is the timing belt/chain, is it likely to be needing replaced/ serviced? My car has done just over 67,000 miles, and has had one other previous owner from new.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there ,good morning to you

Ok the 1.8tdci engine has a timing chain and a timing belt
The chain is fitted for the life of the engine and the belt should be replaced every 80k or 10 years
The chain is in a cassette between the crankshaft and the fuel pump and the belt runs between the fuel pump and the camshaft
I haven't come across any issues regarding belt /chain noises

Your noise is more likely to be a accessory belt noise eg a worn tensioner as this is the most common fault regarding your type of noise

The best way to find this out would be to remove the accessory belt to see if the noise
Then you know the fault lies in the accessory belt system

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards in advance and have a nice Day

Brian