Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

RA-ml

Customer Question

Hi - I have a 2.5T Mondeo. A few times now, what appeared to be a flat battery? Jumped started the car via cables - all ok. This am - the same but now the dash lights are going mad, the car jumps when I accelerate and the central console appears to be affected - generally the electrics. Could this be the alternator?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

a flat battery will give all sorts of odd effects so 1st check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright. if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

Also how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

if this is OK I'd check the current drain aspect, the best way to find what circuit is causing the excessive currant drain is to fit a current sensing multimeter in series with the positive battery lead on the car and the battery, or use a current clamp meter on the battery positive cable.

A typical current drain with everything off and un-alarmed should be around 0.05Amp and if its higher than this remove a fuse and re-measure, if measurement doesn't change then replace the fuse and remove the next. Once you've isolated the circuit with the excessive drain check the wiring connections and plugs to components and the wiring harness that runs by the engine bay fuse box - the wiring harness chaffs / rubs through and gets damaged - but its not always easy to see so be careful when checking..