Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician

Ive got a Ford Mondeo Auto 2ltr TDI 52 plate - and Ive got

Customer Question

I've got a Ford Mondeo Auto 2ltr TDI 52 plate - and I've got loss of power when going in the overtaking lane at speed followed by cut out with coil light flashing, came to a stop turned engine off and restarted - slight juddering at 50mph but seems to have settled for the moment. Also slight black smoke when accelerating and judder when under load. This problem is intermittent and on diagnostic in a garage it showed up pump and injection problems but I had this problem in the past and the injectors were replaced and it didn't solve the problem. Following this I had the cam and fuel sensor replaced and subsequently has run with no problems for about 5 years. Also I had similar symptoms and a split hose at the front of the engine was replaced and again the problem was solved.

Really what I am asking is - how accurate if the diagnostic as before when it diagnosed injection problems it turned out to be the sensor problem. Can you help please?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, Good evening

Ok the FIRST  thing that must be done before going any further is a diagnostic fault code check of the PCM 
This is imperative to correctly diagnosing this fault right first time and saving you a lot of time and Money 
As misdiagnosis of this engine can be expensive 
The engine management system is very complex and technical on this 2.0TDCI  
Thus why a fault code is an absolute must when diagnosis faults 

The most common and likely diagnostic code/s is p0251&p0211
Both fuel metering codes
These codes are set when the fuel pressure is 50 bar + /- of the desired target value and then limp home mode us activated

The first thing that should be replsced If it hasn't been is the fuel filter as a lot of people overlook this thinking it will not cause this issue but it can
These filters should be replaced every 37.5k but have seen them block earlier usually due to poor fuel quality (supermarkets )(high water content )

Injector issues are also very common on the older higher mileage Mondeos and this will cause such an issue

Fuel pump failure can occur and contaminate the entire fuel system and clog up the injectors with swarf

The fault code is a guide line to the actual concern
Some technicians aren't familar with these TDCI systems which can end up with misdiagnosis and costly repairs

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
Kind regards in advance and have a nice evening

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your reply - I now have replaced the fuel filter and have tested the car on at 70mph with no juddering or engine cutting out or loss of power as before.

However, now the coil light is flashing on and off when I attain 70mph and continues as I drop down in speed until stationary. I turned the engine off and restarted when no coil light flashed. Drove up road again and coil light started flashing at 50mph again with no loss of power - increased speed up to 70mph still with no loss of power but coil light continued to flash.

Please note the coil light did not flash in this manner before fitting the fuel filter - it only flashed when the engine cut out.

Andrew Parsons

Hi there ,Andrew ,good evening to you

Ok the only way to detect what is causing the coil light to flash is to have a fault code check done
This is the quickest way to resolving these types of issue
It may be the fact that now the new fuel filter is allowing a nice clean file of fuel through obe if the injectors may have reached there limits and may need recoded
This is fault code pending )

There is no other way to diagnose this glow plug light System other than a fault code check

Regards on advance