Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

Please can you help we have a ford transit motorhome 2006.

Customer Question

Please can you help we have a ford transit motorhome 2006. We are travelling in Spain at the moment. Unfortunately we have a problem with our automatic gearbox. The ASM warning light comes on and the van jumps out of gear within half a metre. It has been to a Ford garage where it has been reset three times but the problem is still occurring. Have you got any advise on what repairs or new parts will be necessary.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with this...

Can you please give me the vans Full reg number ( or VIN if not a UK plate ) so that I can check its exact systems -

Too - what mileage has the van got?

Other than a "reset" - ( which will never be long lasting )... what exactly have the Ford garage done / said ?

Rgds, MIKE.........................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Van registration is ED52BAD ( WFOAXXTTFA5G66702)
The garage used a computer to check the system which did at first suggest that there was low power to the control module( if that makes any sense to you) the battery was fully tested and found to be ok.
They also suggested that we may need a new gearbox control module.
Tomorrow we will have to be towed back to the garage and want to be sure that this will solve our problem as you can imagine we also have language difficulties and are a long way from home.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Ed..

Thank you for your reply. Im really very sorry I have only just received it...

Ok, with this sort of problem with the ASM system - its possible it may need a new module yes - but the proper plug in diagnostic tests should be conclusive on that - that is what needs doing, not just them keep re setting it - that wont cure it for you.

But before they do that - they need to check carefully, the wiring from the control unit - for chaffing etc - which does happen... and the actual connections - pins to the unit - relays etc as they can corrode too... Of course they would see that when they come to remove the unit - but thats too late if they have ordered a new unit then - they need to check that first.....

Also - speak to them about any "software updates" that may be available for the ASM control module - they can check directly with Ford on that with your vans VIN -- before talking replacement of the module / unit.

They as I mention above though - should be able to retrieve what are called "fault codes" from the Asm module... they will have been doing this already - just not told you what they are. If you can obtain them, I can tell you what the codes are - what they are, one such code usually as mentioned above , will ID that the actual unit is faulty - or that the fault is elsewhere on the system - even through to the transmission itself. Its a pretty good diagnostic system - so they need to go off that... but let me know if you want any more help on that front - re the codes...

But thats the way forward on this one now - to find out exactly what the fault is and to get it put right for you.. let me know how things go..

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.