Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Hi can you tell me what year the ford focus 1.6 l Diesel engines

Customer Question

Hi can you tell me what year the ford focus 1.6 l Diesel engines turbo issues have been rectified/fixed as I am looking to buy one but not sure weather I should with the 1.6 past issues ?
Cheers
Pete
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 4 years ago.
Hi there Pete ,good morning to you

Ok the early 1.6tdci eg 2005-2007 had the most issues with the turbos
The fault was caused by excessive soot being produced by the engine. Usally due to a hairline crack in the intercooler pipe or a sticking EGR valve
Which in turn caused crystallisation of the engine oil this blocking /choking up the oil delivery to the turbo causing it to fail

Ford released a technical bulletin on 2006 to resolve this issue which includes stripping and cleaning several parts of the engine

I haven't seen any 2008 focus onward suffer from this issue
But have seen DPF issues become more common on the 1.6tdci
As some have a additive tank which must be filled every 3 years s d a DPF which is advised to be replaced every 125k
If you are going to buy a 1.6tdci focus ensure that it has been serviced properly/regulary
The service should be done every 12.5k
With these engines I always advise an oil flush before draing the oil to remove any soot debris that may be in The engine

This 1.6 engine is actually a Peugeot (PSA) engine as is the 1.4/2.0 diesels that are fitted to fords
The only ford diesel engine that is still used is the 1.8 TDCI which I think is still the best and most reliable diesel engine avaiable on a ford
This doesnt have DPF fitted and doesn't suffer from any real issues (the engine has been used for over 20 years )
Again good servicing is a must with diesel engines

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards in advance and have a nice day

Brian