Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  Automotive diagnostic tech
29331485

Hi, I have a ford focus , 01; the engine light started flashing

Customer Question

Hi, I have a ford focus , 01; the engine light started flashing yesterday, and car seems to have trouble going uphill, sounds almost like not firing properly; is it safe to drive or not? And what could it be? thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Greg replied 4 years ago.

Good morning and thank you for using justanswer , i will help you the best i can .

When the check engine light starts to flash this means the management system has detected a misfire .

Here is a discription on how this system works .

The check engine light is yellow, meaning you don't have a great problem, this comes on when the management system (ECM), encounters a malfunction within the engine and transmission system.

Unless you have noticed the engine is misfiring "Flashing check engine light",,which means this should be checked asap due to the fact a misfiring engine will damage the catalytic converter's.

Now if the engine is running well ,then you don't have to get to the garage asap but when you have the time.

What i suggest you do is find a good local garage that has a diagnostic scan tool (shops computer engine tester).

Once the scan tool is connected it will be able to read a stored code or codes
(A code will be stored due to a malfunction of a part or sensor, it will turn the light ON)

The found code or codes will let you know what has malfunctioned and the testing technician will then let you know what has to be done to repair this issue .

Once the repair has been done the the codes will have to be cleared, which will switch off the check engine light, if the repair has been done correctly then the check engine light should stay off.

So i suggest you don't drive to much until you have this sorted out, or you may end up having to replace the catalytic converter .

Need further assistance then please get back to me.

Please rate my help a 3 to 5. " If you are not satisfied please don't rate."
We can continue to work or I can opt out .
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting .
If I don't reply soon I will as quick as I can as we may be on different time zones

Kindest regards Greg