sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I have a 2005 Ford Transit Connect T220 which I have just bought

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford Transit Connect T220 which I have just bought a few days ago and the speed clock is not working. I Am getting a data code u1262 on my meter. Fuel guage, Rev counter & Temperature guage all workin.. Can anybody out there please advise me on how to fix this problem..
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Does the van have ABS? Have you the chassis number of the van ? So I can obtain the correct details. Did you get the U1262 code from a cluster self test? If so what did the needles do when "gage" was displayed in the LCD?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

van does not have ABS. Chassis no. wfouxxttpu5u37642. code was obtained from cluster test and needles barely moved but didnt pass zero.

Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.
Hello again,As the vehicle doesn't have ABS then the vehicle speed is sent from the speed sensor on the gearbox, you can check if the signal is been sent by using the self test of the cluster, the test after the DTC screen (will be test 7) shows the speed in MPH in the LCD, if this stays at zero when driving then replace the sensor. If the speed is shown then the cluster needs replacing.Let me know if I can assist further.Best wishes,Sean.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for gettin back to me can you please give me more details as to where to find the cluster and directions on how to carry out this test

Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

the cluster test is the same as when you obtained the U code in the mileage display by pressing and holding the trip button while you start the van, the MPH is shown in the next test after the DTCs are displayed in the LCD section, when you drive the car with this in the display the vehicle speed is shown as though it is a digital speedometer. If the display doesn't show the speed and stays at zero MPH then this would indicate the speed sensor on the gearbox is at fault.

The sensor is on the gearbox just next to where the drivers side driveshaft comes out of the gearbox, it will have an electrical connector on it with 3 wires to it and is held in place by 1 bolt.

If the speedometer doesn't move but the speed is shown on the test then the speedometer needs replacing but this isn't available separately and only comes as a complete instrument cluster.

I hope this clarifies things for you but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Best regards,

Sean.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Sean I will try that test and get back to you with results

Regards,

Gerry

Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

No problem, I'll keep any eye out for you reply.

Best regards,

Sean.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi Sean, sorry only gettin back to you now. Tryed what you said even put on a new speedo sensor but no joy, im wonderin would the problem be between the ECU and the cluster??? can you please advise me on what to do next.

regards,

Gerry

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi Sean, tryed what you recommended but no joy?? i have replaced the speedo sensor but still no joy. to me it seems like a breakdown between the ECU and cluster??

I await your reply..

regards,

Gerry

Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

was there any reading on the mileage display when you drove the vehicle with the cluster self test set to the speed? Also check that you have 12 volts to pin 1 of the VSS when the ignition is on. The PCM does send the message to the cluster for the speed. Also when driving normally (not in self test) does the mileage or trip meter work as it should or does it not change?

Let me know,

thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Sean, neither the mileage nor the trip meter change. my mileage is stayin @ same mileage, i await your reply...

many thanks,

Gerry.

Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

if the mileage isn't moving then this confirms the cluster isn't receiving the speed signal, as I mentioned previously check pin 1 of the VSS connector for 12 volts at ignition on. The wiring from the VSS pin 2 goes to pin 17 of the PCM and pin 3 goes to pin 75 of the PCM. Check this wiring, as the signal goes from the PCM to the cluster via the CAN and there are no other electrical concerns then I would say the CAN wiring from the PCM to the cluster is OK. If the radio is equipped with AVC then turn this up to maximum and drive the van, if the radio gets louder the faster you go and then quietens when you slow down this would confirm the speed signal is going around the CAN.

If this is the case then it would appear to be a cluster concern.

Check the wiring mentioned above, let me know if I can assist further.

Best wishes,

Sean.