Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert

2004 1.8 petrol ford focus,bad starting from cold untill today,when

Customer Question

2004 1.8 petrol ford focus,bad starting from cold untill today,when it had trouble starting full stop.wright i have diag not faults found.up dated calibration none.fut pump pressure check.fine car has 71.000 miles been services reg .problems first started with car starting on second turn on cold mornings .no problems with hot starting untill today car has been stood for a week .car wouldnt start first time as useall,this was 12 noon.on second turn car sounded like starter not engageing .this happened tree or four times.eventually started .ran rough with a poof of blue smoke.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with this...

Can I just ask if you have any fault codes retrieved at all - and if so what they are ?

Plus - what mileage is on the car ?

Too - can you give me any background to this at all - ie, when it went wrong / how etc...? The more info you can give me , the better -

Rgds, MIKE........................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no fault codes.71.000 miles.over the last six mounths ive noticed it would not start first time.normally second time when cold but no problems when hot.but today.wouldnt start first time ,then not at all on third time it sounded like starter not engageing.then after several attempts car fired with poof of blue smoke.checked vacum hoses ok.could it be temp sensor for the ecu.or craknshaft postion sensor.what ever today was the worst

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello there Mike...

First my apologies, I had to break off early yesterday for a hospital app and that took way longer than expected -so Im sorry about the delay.

I note what you mention re the third time it starts Mike - Can I just ask - is it the same situation with the starter motor the first and second time too ?

I just need to clarify that .. or what exactly is happening on the initial attempts - ie, does the engine turn / crank as it should ?

Kind Rgds, MIKE......................................
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

wright inetial problems where cold start problems ,started on second time then yesterday it would not start for several times in this peroid ,on starting it sounded like starter was not engageing then eventually after numerious attempts it fired with a puff of blue your question regarding turn over it is fine .a new battery was fiited a wile ago.what happened yesterday seemed to mean .the ecu completely lost the i said yesterday .my car should start on the there are nlots of things that could be the cause .like temp sensor.throttle.sensor even a air leak.or possibly,the ecu is packing up.the question is the problems only occure when starts and runs fine when hot .no erractic tickover.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Mike -

Thank you for your reply and extra info - that does help..

I have reread all that you have put to be sure of what is happening with - and It does seem that there is every chance that the Ect sensor ( the engine temp sensor ) -for the at fault here.

Basically as you may well know - the Ect sensor is the modern equivalent to some degree of the old choke on the carb systems - The Ect sensor for the fuel injected systems, sends temp info to the Ecu all the time - If the info is false or non existent due to being faulty Ect - then you will get exactly as you describe.

Given all that you have done / outlined Mike,.. this is very likely to be your fault here. Bear in mind too , that when faulty - the Ect sensor very often will not create a fault light or fault code - that does mislead many.

So certainly yes, I would suggest renew the Ect sensor - check its wiring and connections too while you are doing but that is the way forward on this one for sure.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.