Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

Hi, I have a 2003 2.5 V6 Mondeo, recently its started to make

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2003 2.5 V6 Mondeo, recently its started to make what sounds like a 'Worn Bearing Hum' which is normally only noticeable once the engine is warmed up but its not continuous, even when the car has come to a halt the 'Loud Humming' can still be heard for a short period. Usually when the 'Humming' starts the car will run suddenly run a bit rough (like when a fan cuts in) and just recently the cars power is cut, resulting in having to re-start the car!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you with this...

What is the mileage on the car ?

What is its service / general recent repair history ? ( to the engine )

Do you get any fault lights on at all?

Have any checks / tests at all been done with regard to this issue?

Rgds, MIKE..............................................
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is the mileage on the car ? 90,500 Miles.

What is its service / general recent repair history ? ( to the engine ) I have had the car three years, and have always kept up with its annual servicing, where no major problems.

Do you get any fault lights on at all? No, nothing.

Have any checks / tests at all been done with regard to this issue? No.

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again Russell -

Thank you for your reply and info..

Ok, this is a known / common issue with this model / engine - Check the pipe that comes out of the air pipe - the one from the air box- the convoluted one - this often gets blocked / clogged/ perishes etc...

If its not that , often what is done is to replace the pipe with a standard piece of "heater hose" - which is a lot longer than the original fitted - and this itself cures the noise.. a noise that is often referred to as "moosing"...

I will give you a pic to help you too - compare this with yours and you can see the situation / what is done re the pipe if still needed.

Its also a good idea to clean out the air breather / idle control valve at the same time -

Here is the pic I mentioned -

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

>> >> Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.