Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My Ford Galaxy has died and will not start or try to start.

Customer Question

My Ford Galaxy has died and will not start or try to start. It is a 1.8 TDCi Zetec 5dr 2006. I suspect it is an immobiliser issue as it is not trying to turn over but when you put the key in the lights come on? Any help gratefully accepted.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

I assume this is the latest shape Galaxy (2006 on) is this correct? When you turn the ignition on what does the immobiliser LED do? Does it stay on for a few seconds then go off or does it flash fast?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What does the immobiliser LED look like?

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

it is a small LED in the instrument cluster (on 2006 model on) you can see it flash when the car is locked, when you turn the car on it should come on for 3 seconds then go off. It's the same LED as for any warning message, and has the letter i in it.

Let me know.

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is not coming on at all. It was light up yesterday for a short while after the kids set off the alarm but it is not lighting at all right now

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

does it flash when the car is locked?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it is not coming on at all

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

to start with you need to check the operation of the LED by using the cluster self test.

To enter the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode.
Simultaneously press and hold the OK button and turn the ignition switch from
position 0, to position II.

Entry to the Self-Diagnostic Mode is confirmed when 'TEST' is
displayed in the information and message center display. The set button must be released within three seconds of 'TEST' being displayed or the instrument
cluster will exit the Self-Diagnostic Mode.

To navigate through or skip any of the instrument cluster
Self-Diagnostic Mode tests, press the OK button. If the OK button is pressed for
more than 3 seconds between tests, the instrument cluster will exit the
Self-Diagnostic Mode.

Test 4 will illuminate all the LED's so check the red i LED comes on.

Also when you turn the ignition on and there is an immobiliser fault the cluster should display "immobiliser active" does this display?

Let me know,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

LED working OK, no message about "immobiliser inactive"

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello is anyone there