sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Mondeo T214 FAP (1999) Ghia X 2 litre black. Removing driver

Customer Question

Mondeo T214 FAP (1999) Ghia X 2 litre black.
Removing driver air bag does not match Haynes manuals K-X registration, or K-N registration.
It writes of bolts securing it but there does not seem to be any bolts, although there are 4 curious holes present. There seems to be no conventional way of undoing it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

To remove the driver's side air bag is quite straight forward.

First for safety reasons disconnect the battery (make sure you have the radio code)

The airbag is held on by 2 screws that are accessed through the small holes in the rear of the steering wheel, once these are unfastened the airbag will remove. The fasteners are usually either a Torx socket or a 5.5 mm headed fastener.

Below is an illustration to give you an idea of the fastener location.

graphic

I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.