sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

ford transit 2005 fwd 2.0 put the key in turn it on starts

Customer Question

ford transit 2005 fwd 2.0 put the key in turn it on starts spot on than the milage disapears rev counter temp gage wont work and a red spaner showing the spaner normaly put egnition on then hold cluch and exelorator down for 30 seconds it goes out even that doesent work
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Does the engine cut out when this happens? Does the light go off and gauges start working if you turn the engine off and restart.

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no it does not cut off runs fine only thing that works is the fuel gadge when you turn off the milage comes back turn back on and the milage just goes to lines tenp gadge moves about 2mil rev counter same moves about 2mil the 2mil is milimeaters thanks hope you canhelp

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

and there is no speedo

Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

this is due to a communication issue between the instrument cluster and the engine management control module (PCM). The PCM and cluster are connected via a network, the vehicle speed, engine speed and temperature plus the service warning spanner are all detected by the PCM then the information is sent to the cluster.

If the vehicle speed is missing then the PCM can't detect how far the van has travelled so there is no information to send to the cluster this is when you see the dashes.

The fuel level sender in the tank is hard wired to the cluster, this is why this still works.

As the van continues to run then the fault is more than likely the cluster at fault rather than the PCM or wiring. It may be worth removing the cluster just to make sure the electrical connectors into it are still secure and free of corrosion.

The only certain way to confirm a cluster failure is to have a diagnostic scan run on the cluster but from the description you've given the cluster needs replacing.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further or if you have more questions let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

were is the cluster

Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

the cluster is the instrument cluster, the speedometer, rev counter, fuel gauge and temperature gauge are all part of the cluster, you can't buy the clocks separately it needs replacing as a complete unit.

If you want to use a second hand cluster you need to make sure the part numbers match to prevent any other concerns, the part numbers will be on a label on the back of the cluster.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Best regards,

Sean.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so you are saying a new clock should fix it if it does i will email you and tell thanks for your help smily face

Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

trying a cluster is the first option, you can come back to me any time if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sean.