Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

how to adjust rockers on lwb 07 transit twin wheel 350 tdci

Customer Question

how to adjust rockers on 07 transit twin wheel 350, after having a closer look it seems we need a special type of screw driver, is this right? the rockers have the smallest srew in the top, I imagine this adjusts but dont have the correct tool, what is it and where to get it

Category: Ford
Expert:  fordspec replied 4 years ago.

Hi there welcome and thank you for the question hope i can be of some assistance to your problem

Can you tell me what your problem with the rockers is apart from wanting to adjust them?

Kind Regards

Neil

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi sorry its took so long been away, when the vehicle is going up hill and you need power or top of the revs when changing gear it sounds like the tappets are loose, before I took the rockers out checked each one, all the rockers at the front of engine have movement only 3 at the rear were tight,

took them out seen they are attached to frame, first time seen this type, vehicle as done 160000, do we have a fuel knock? any advice

Expert:  fordspec replied 4 years ago.
The rockers on the frame are not adjustable and they cannot be replaced individually you have to replace the whole frame, i have seen these become loose before you tend to find the whole that they sit into becomes elongated and allows movement, before you took the vehicle apart could you here any popping sounds in the air pipe from the air box?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, no popping sounds from airbox, the only other thing is a slight uneven tickover, a little surging but otherwise engine ok and sounds normal, just that noise if you take the revs up high between gears, is there a tendancey to change the frame after so many miles, or is this not common?

Expert:  fordspec replied 4 years ago.

I have had to change these frames on vehicles as low as 40000 miles for excessive wear, the rockers use to fail on the old transit but these could be bought separate.

Uneven tick over could also be a sign that the rockers are not working as they should be as if the valves are not been open fully or at the wrong time it will affect the idle, but it could also be a sign of a faulty injector putting in too much diesel.

Your slight surging will be been caused by the metering valve on the rear of the pump but is nothing really to worry about if you can live with it.

What i would do as you have the injectors out is get them tested to make sure they are working as they should be as the vehicle does have high mileage on it, next thing as you have the thing stripped down is just check the timing and make sure it is correct.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, thanks, we will try

Expert:  fordspec replied 4 years ago.
Let me know what results you get.