Robert
Robert, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

can left hand drive headlight work on a right hand drive car

Customer Question

can left hand drive headlight work on a right hand drive car if replaced
Category: Ford
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

Are you just replacing the one or both Headlamps?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

both

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

both headlamps which i want to get from china

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..there..

If your replacing both Headlamps from right hand drive to left hand drive for the focus model above then their shouldn't be any reason why they should'nt work..Its only the beam direction as per the lense/reflectors that differs between the RHD and LHD the assembly is the same - when and after fitting they must re-checked for proper alignment usually any MOT station that has the equipment to check headlight aim direction etc....I do hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so i can have the alignment? because i dont want to be pulled over by the police

Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.
If your fitting LHD lamps to your RHD vehicle.. then you need to have them double checked for proper aim..For example If your fitting LHD lamps for European countries for driving on left hand side then having checked before hand would essential to ensure they are aimed properly.. you cant really use LHD aim lamps in the UK for right hand side driving or you'll dazzle oncoming traffic.. Alternative to buying LHD lamps and maybe cheaper alternative but still use your RHD lamps you maybe want to try either the Ford dealer or the likes of Halfords for headlamp beam benders...I do hope this helps..