sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

ABS light and Handbrake light remains on in my Ford Mondeo

Customer Question

ABS light and Handbrake light remains on in my Ford Mondeo GHIA R reg.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 4 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

As both the red and amber brake warning lights are on this suggests a concern with the ABS that is likely to be an issue other than a wheel speed sensor.

There are a couple of checks you can try yourself before resorting to a garage. Make sure all the fuses are OK for the ABS, there won't be a single fuse for this there are usually 4 or 5 fuses but this depends on the system make and type as this model Mondeo can have 1 of 3 systems installed.

If all the fuses are OK then check the ABS electrical connector for signs of corrosion on the terminals, if there is corrosion clean the connector and pins in the ABS module, reconnect and retest, drive the car as it may need to measure the wheel speed signals for the lights to go off.

If there is no corrosion in the connector then check the earth for the ABs unit.

You can check each wheel sensor, the resistance should be around 1.2KΩ and the voltage output when spinning a wheel approximately 1 turn per second should be around 0.7 volts AC.

Other than these checks unfortunately you then need to resort to a suitably equipped garage to read the DTC's from the ABS memory. Most garages can do this as most garages tend to have a Snap On or similar diagnostic tool. You can ask for a fixed price to obtain the codes but as it only takes a short amount of time expect to pay no more than around £50.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.