Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

hi ,i have a ford mondeo 2ltr duratec he auto with 78000 on

Customer Question

hi ,i have a ford mondeo 2ltr duratec he auto with 78000 on the clock.. it starts ok runs ok except when i get to 70 mph and cruise then put my foot down to acelerate fairly hard then i get white smoke from the exhaust..take my foot off and put it down more gently and all is fine..have tried driving hard through the gears and all is fine..oil,water etc all ok and runs at normal temperature. have covered 800 miles since this started and it only happens at the higher speed,,..
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
Are there any warning lights coming on at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no. all lights going out including oil light and engine manegment..

the only thing i have discovered is that i may have an bit to much engine oil in the sump as that i am a bit confused as to how to read the oil level because if i lift the dip stick after the engine has been standing overnight it does not show any oil level at all if i then put the dipstick back in and pull it out again it shows a high level of oil so i dont know which reading to take as true. have tried driving hard through the gears and all ok..also drove the car hard in first gear and all ok..car runing and starting fine and have now found out how to drive the car without it smoking unless i put my foot down at about 70 mph and keeping it in top gear.take my foot off and it stops smoking and i can ease to car up to any speed . dont know if this is normal but cannot rev the car very high when out of gear at a standstilit appears there may be a limiter on the throttle in this circumstance.

Ok the reading on the stick after the vehicle has been sitting is the true reading and if there is nothing on the dip stick it is low. The issue that you are describing is consistent with a failing piston oil ring which will cause the issue that you are having. The first step I would suggest is to have a cylinder leak down test performed.