sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

Hi,I have a ford connect diesel 55 plate,86,000 miles,when

Hi,I have a ford connect diesel 55 plate,86,000 miles,when I first start it,it has this clicking noise coming from the engine for about half a minute then it stops,then it is ok all day if the engine is warm.

Hello, I'm sorry nobody has replied to you sooner and I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Can you influence the noise in any way, for example turning on electrical loads or turning the steering? How loud is the noise? Could it be described as a diesel knock? Do you have the chassis number of the vehicle? So I can obtain the correct details.

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello,it is hard to explain,it's not a loud clicking noise but loud enough that you can hear it from inside the van but obviously louder under the bonnet.no it is not a diesel knock a completely different noise.the chassis number is XXXXX noise started about a 1000 miles ago but when the engine is warm is does not do it but it sounds like it is coming from the timing belt side,it don't sound good for about 10 seconds or so,it seems like once the oil gets up it stops.I have tried revving it but it does not make any difference at all but it does not get any louder by doing it.I thought to start off with it was the tensioner on the timing belt but it was only done a couple of 100 miles ago,so it can't be that.Thank you.

Hello again,

there aren't any known concerns showing up on the Ford system for this model. However I'm aware of a couple of concerns that may be worth investigating. Firstly when the engine is cold and hasn't been run remove the alternator belt and start the engine, if the noise has gone then I would check the belt tensioner, idler pulley and also the water pump, in the past I've changed each of these items for ticking bearing noises,I've also seen the tensioner bearing fail on this engine.

Don't assume that the timing belt tensioner is OK, it's not unusual for a new tensioner to be noisy, if this wasn't replaced with the belt it should have been, these come as a kit from Ford.

Start with checking if the noise disappears with the alternator belt off.

Let me know if I can assist further or if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.