Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

my ford fiesta finesse (reg.sh52aeo) has two intermittent faults

my ford fiesta finesse (reg.sh52aeo) has two intermittent faults (1) engine will intermittenly begin idling between 1500 - 2000 rpm (modulating up and down) and then (2) the engine will begin cutting out when the vehicle comes to a stop but will not idle when attempts are made to re-start the engine and will only continue running with the accelerator pressed.please advise remedial action. john beckett
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
This is a fairly common issue for these engines and the problem is the vehicle is sucking in air and choking itself out. What causes this is the intake manifold develops a crack and results in your symptoms. The first step is to have the system smoke tested which will show where the crack is and depending on the size will determine if it can be repaired or replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike, thanks for explaining why the engine cuts out,but why is the fault intermittent ? Surely if the intake manifold is cracked the problem would occur continually which it does'nt and for much of the time the engine will start and idle,sometimes at normal speed (750 rpm) sometimes at 1500 - 2000 rpm.Also,what causes the engine to idle at these high speeds?

The engine idle at these speeds would be related to the sucking in air issue. If its a small crack which it usually is the problem want be present all of the time,the reason for this engine temperature,engine pressure,weather,etc. this is the next thing I would check.