Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

The car is reluctant to start after standing for about 1 hour.

Customer Question

The car is reluctant to start after standing for about 1 hour. Starts ticking over at low revs no response from the accelerator insufficient power to move off. Runs normally after several restarts. Big problem in the cross channel tunnel train, all the cars have gone infront and 100 waiting behind.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question. The issue that you are describing is consistent with the fuel pump in the fuel tank. The pump is electrically shorting and not pumping the sufficient amount of fuel to the engine and in turn resulting in your issue. The problem is when checking the fuel pressure while the vehicle is performing normally everything will check out fine. The fuel pump will need to be tested when the vehicle is experiencing the trouble.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We tried all last week to replicate the problem at a location where we could test it, no success it started first time every time using various time lags.

I will have the pump tested and if it shows anything less than perfect it will be changed.

Sounds good,this is where your problem will be. Swapping the pump is going to cure the issue.