sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I have a 2010 focus 1.6tdi, 3 days ago it started, stalled

I have a 2010 focus 1.6tdi, 3 days ago it started, stalled and wouldn't restart. The local Ford garage said there was a code for a non recognition fault on the key transponder. It was cleared, and the car ran for 3 days then repeated the non starting with the same key and the spare. In addition the AA mechanic said there was no fuel pressure. The car is the garage now but I have read that low fuel pressure can set off the immobiliser, or is it more likely to be an immobiliser problem? - both keys having a problem at the same time seems unlikely

Thanks in advance

sean :

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance, if this is an immobiliser concern then the immobiliser LED will flash rapidly when you turn the ignition on, if it's doing this with both keys then it is an immobiliser concern but not due to a key fault. If the no start is due to low fuel pressure then the immobiliser LED should come on for 3 seconds then go off, this is normal. Low fuel pressure won't activate the immobiliser. If it is an immobiliser concern then a diagnostic scan will be required to determine which part of the system is giving the fault, usually this is an instrument cluster failure, if it is a cluster fault then a new cluster will need programming to the car and the immobiliser system reset. Having a diagnostic scan will also confirm if there is a fuel pressure concern. You can't really diagnose this fault on a DIY basis as the scanner used needs to be able to read body codes which cheaper scanners can't. Let me know if I can assist further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks - so far the garage have been quite accomodating with courtesy cars etc., - I just wanted to be able to ask some reasonablly intelligent questions when I speak to them later

Hello again,

let me know if I can assist further.