Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

hi got a 1999 ford ranger pick up,started with slight blue

Customer Question

hi got a 1999 ford ranger pick up,started with slight blue smoke on start up that quickly cleared now using water,no leaks,flushed rad and engine,took out thermostat any ideas where to look next please,thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
Has the vehicle overheated at any point,how many miles are on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

mileage is 144,000,pick up hasnt overheated to boiling point just gets hot when water level drops and need to top up

These engines had a habit of having cylinder head issues causing the lose of water without leaks that you are experiencing. The first step with this issue is a Block test this will test for the presence of hydro-carbons in the coolant system and if found the head gasket,head,or block is causing the issue. With no leaks the only other place the water can go is out of the exhaust.