Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford Focus Sport petrol 2006. Water appearing at 3rd spark

Customer Question

Ford Focus Sport petrol 2006. Water appearing at 3rd spark plug even when covered with cardboard. Suspected rain ingress but appears to be engine coolant. Little engine coolant lost or none. Where is this water coming from. ECU light on, loss of power.

Seamus Maguire
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there Seamus , good evening to you

Ok if The water ingress into the spark plugs is definatley coolant then it will be coming from one of the cylinder head core plugs these were prone for seeping coolant over a period of time this causes coolant to come in to contact with the spark plug and lead this can cause the spark to arc and can cause a missfire /hesitation when accelerating this bringing the MIL light on.
In this case both core plugs should be replaced
There is 2 types depending on build date (your parts department will clarify which ones are needed )
One is a screw in type and one is a press in type
This job takes around 2 hours to do correctly

The other entry of water into the spark plugs (rain water ) is when the rain water by passes the windscreen washer jets
You need to fit modified washer jets to resolve this jets fitted with better seals

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue Seamus please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards in advance and have a nice evening 

Brian

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brian, Coolant still leaking from machine hole between two centre spark plugs. Replaced two bungs in head.

Seamus Maguire

Hi there ,seams ,good afternoon to you

Ok are you saying that the collar is leaking out of the threaded machine hole on the middle of the cylinder head
(this is where the CHT sat in The Older vehicles )

Regards in advance Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brian,

What is CHT?

How is this repaired?

Seamus

Hi there seams ,good evening to you

Sorry for the delayed response

Ok the CHT sensor is the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor

This used to be a screw in crush fit sensor fitted Inbetween no 2&3 spark plugs
This sensor was deleted and moved to the thermostat housing
But the threaded part were the sensor screwed into remains as it is the same cylinder head

I have never seen or heard of this threaded part being an issue in regards to coolant loss
Has it been verified that the coolant is coming out of this threaded part

Regards Brian