Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a 2003 Jaguar X Type 2 Ltr diesel sport with what i

I have a 2003 Jaguar X Type 2 Ltr diesel sport with what i am told has a Ford Mondeo engine in. Jaguar Northampton have had it in several times because to test it but to no avail. The problem is that the engine revs fluctuate when idling and most times I drive the car (97%)it exelerates on its own up and sometimes above 1500 revs. Might someone have an answer to this very strange happening ?
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im happy to help you with this..

There are two possibilities here as to the causes of your troubles -

The first is the TB - that's the Throttle Body - To explain - this is a common cause of your described troubles - It basically needs to be absolutely thoroughly cleaned internally as the internals stick causing exactly as you have outlined in use. Too, the TB incorporates the Idle control valves system . I dont know if this is something you can or would do yourself or not - but if not, I would suggest to try and find and use an Independent Jaguar garage - or, a local good garage - any such can do this for you... and charge you a lot less than the dealers. Plus -the dealers should have done this for you so -- but it can depend - some are better than others.

Once that's done - you can then see how it runs - If the fault is eradicated then that's that -

If you still have trouble through - then the next thing as above to have checked is what's called the EGR valve. This is the exhaust gas recirculation valve. It, when it plays up will give these symptoms too - Its a common fault really and again, any good garage can do this for you.

Also - I would actually recommend using a local diesel specialist if you have one near you - they are fully au fiat with these modern diesel driveability issues - they are fitted to different marques so they see these issues a lot.

From here without the ability to check / test your vehicle I obviously can't say exactly which the cause will be - I just have to advise the most likely and the way forward for you ...as above.

One other thing too - there are often software updates for the Ecu - the engine management computer - to cure odd driveability issues. The dealers would be the ones to do this as their equipment is needed - but it may be worth just asking them ( it can be done on the phone ) if there are any released for your model. Even while it was in they should have checked - but so often we see this missed.

I do know there is one for VIN numbers - D56272 on.... so you could check that one for yourself against your VIN... but otherwise , you would need to ask them..

Other than that - the common issues I have mentioned above once tended to should cure your issues for you -

Let me know if you need anything else on this -

Meantime... >>>- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have a private mechanic and have shown him your diagnosis. He is aware of EGR valve but is unaware of the TB and where it is situated. Could you please clarify. Otherwise I am very satisfied with your service and will certainly tell my friend and family about your service. Thank you :-)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could you please clarify where the Throttle Body is please. My Mechanic is aware of the EGR. Thanx