Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I have a Ford Fusion 2007 1.6 auto which overheats up to the

Customer Question

I have a Ford Fusion 2007 1.6 auto which overheats up to the red mark on the motorway when i go over 60mph, if i put the interior heating on full the engine temperature goes back down to the centre reading, no fluid is being lost. Ford serviced 2 months ago and engine coolant flushed and renewed.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

My name is MIKE - Im sorry I just missed you in the Live Chat system - we are now on the QA system as you have gone off line..

There are three common reasons for this - in this order...

Sticking or faulty thermostat.
Faulty / failed fan unit ( on the radiator ) or its circuit
Clogged ? partially clogged radiator.

These are the things that need checking - and you cannot as you say, replicate the problem in a garage - you just have to work through as above.

The engine can be brought up to temp - and then literally feel to see if the radiator is hot equally all over... if not, that's a sign of thermostat trouble first - clogged radiator second...

In any event - with this given its symptoms it would make sense to replace the thermostat and then check / test it again on the road. I have a feeling you will find that's cured it but - if not, then the other aspects of the system need to be checked as above. Evidently they have not been fully checked as yet. The fans are operated via signals from the Ecu / Pcm - so that needs checking diagnostically to inc the circuit / relays as mentioned.... Working through as above you will have this cured.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc... which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.