Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a Ford Transit van (Y registration and ex BT). It has

Customer Question

I have a Ford Transit van (Y registration and ex BT). It has done 170000 miles. Problem I'm having is that it suddenly cuts out whilst driving. It happens particularly when I'm driving up fairly steep inclines. What I do is to change gear down and then continually pump on the accelerator. This usually helps when the incline is moderate but not so when the incline is quite steep where the engine just cuts out. When I do the pumping I note the engine "coughs" and jerks but manages to "hang in". What I did in order to go up a steep incline, I would stop the vehicle on the side of the road, put it into first gear and put my foot flat on the accelerator with revs at max and go up the hill.
On a long flat stretch, whenever the engine cuts out, I immediately switch off engine completely and switch on again without any problem. On a long even stretch the engine will go well until it gets to about 60mph when suddenly it will cut out again with me having to put the engine into neutral and then switching off and then switching on again. I Do this while "coasting" on the road in neutral without having to stop the vehicle. The engine seems to be fine when it is cold. Also of note is that the glow light indicator lights up. I changed the fuel filter. Initially it seemed to solve the problem but not long afterwards the problem started once again.
My question is 3 fold. What is the fault? What would the estimated cost be and given that it has done 170,000 miles would it be best that "I put it on pension!" in terms of its economic value. I have kept this vehicle for long enough due to the recession and the fact that I'm under budgetary constraints.
Your help would be much appreciated.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
Are there any warning lights coming on at all ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. No warning lights come on at all except for the glow plug indicator, At least that's what I think it is. Also I have no problem starting the engine after it cuts out

Honestly the issue that you are having is consistent with in tank fuel pump loosing its prime and not pumping the correct amount of pressure when under load. The fuel pressure needs to be tested while driving,this is best done by the use of a scan diagnostic tool. As far as cost the replacement of the pump and labor would be about $500.00