Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

We have just bought a second hand ford KA (Collection 51 plate)

Customer Question

We have just bought a second hand ford KA (Collection 51 plate) and prior to purchase noticed the Air Conditioning wasn't working. On closer inspection by the Garage mechanic we soon identified the heater was only blowing hot and therefore the solenoid wasn't working (common fault). Once the solenoid was replaced the control switch seems to be out of sync, that is when it is in the blue it is hot and when in the red, Cold. The mechanic says that the switch is the wrong way round but I don't buy that. I have tried to investigate via a Haynes manual but it does not show the climate control switch on the diagram (very annoying). Any advice on this would be appreciated, before I take it back to the garage for Air Con recharge.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
From what you are describing the vacuum lines in the back of the control head are backwards this is what causes this issue. This is likely from when the control head was removed. There is not a diagram available for this however the lines and connections on the back of the control head are Color Coated to match.
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there good evening to you
Ok the heater control valve has 2 wire going to it
it has a 12 volt feed on the violet/black wire ( this is powered from fuse 13 ( 15amp)
this is located in the CJB ( just under the steering wheel to the right handside )
also ensure that fuse 2 ( 7.5amp) in the CJB is ok as this powers the heater control panel ,
the heater control valve is controlled/opened using a variable earth from pin 5 at the heater control panel to pin 2 at the heater control valve ( black/green)
if the heater control valve has been replaced then i would rule this can be ruled out
the easiest way to check if the heater control panel/wiring to the heater control valve is working and correct is to dissconnect the multiplug and connect either a noid light or a circuit tester ( using a paper clip etc)
and put the temperature dial to the middle ( the light should pulse )
if you turn the dial to fully hot the light will go out as there is no earth being sent from the panel
If you set it to cold the light should go solid as this closes the valve completely
I haven't seen your issue before but i have changed a few of these control panels (internal fault ) for different issues ( usally after someone has replaced the valve)
But it does sound a bit strange for this to occur as the control panel is a smal electronic module

In your case with hot setting blowing cold and cold setting blowing hot
I would inspect the plug first incase this has been fitted the wrong way
The reson I say this is I have seen some vehicles that have had non ford (cheaper part ) heater control valves fitted where either the pins weren't long enough to connect correctly to the multiplug this done obe had broke the plug and fitted it with just the pins as the multiplug didnt fit correctly
Would be worth a look first As it may be a case of turning the plug round the right way
You need to remove the passenger scuttle panel and slacken the drivers side to access the valve assembly

if you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
if you are completley satisfied with my answer/advice PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT
Kind regards In advance and have a nice evening

Brian