Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

hi - my 2009 S-MAX 1.8 tdci has started stalling occasionally

hi - my 2009 S-MAX 1.8 tdci has started stalling occasionally immediately on stopping at lights after a long motorway run. It won't then restart immediately - needs a couple of minutes and a few attempts to start. Then it's fine. It's happenned 3 times. Each time there have been several passengers in the car and a/c switched on. The car never normally stalls.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

Are there any warning lights coming on at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike,

Pretty sure no lights during the run and just the normal lights when trying to restart. It's possible we missed something when panicking to restart but sure there was nothing before then.

thanks

Phil

The issue that you are describing is consistent with a fuel pressure issue. The most common reason for this the electric fuel pump in the tank is overheating and shorting. What I would suggest is have the fuel pressure checked and monitored as a first step.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mike

Thanks for that. We'll be taking our chances on the French motorways next week and then putting it in the garage after that. Will get the fuel pressure checked as you advise. I'll rate your advice later when we've got to the bottom of it.

cheers

Phil

Thank you,you can respond to this question at any time after rating the answer positive and I will continue to help you otherwise the question will time out and close. Thanks again.