sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

glow plug flashes on & off when lights on also brake lights

Customer Question

glow plug flashes on & off when lights on also brake lights dont work its a 2000 plate galaxy
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

Both faults will be due to the brake pedal switches, the switches operate the brake lights and also the signal is used by the engine management, when there is no signal or there is a correlation error the engine management detects this, stores a fault code and the glow plug light is flashed to alert you to the fault, the car may also lack power.

The brake switches are easy enough to replace they twist to remove.

When installing the new switches pull the rod out to the stop and make sure the brake pedal is pressed, fit the new switches. If not done correctly the new switches can be damaged, I personally find the VW switch better than the Ford switch, make sure you get the correct switches as there are a couple of versions, some the switches are separate and some the switches are in the same assembly. An example is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Light-Switch-for-Ford-Galaxy-95-06-/380470959429?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3AGalaxy&hash=item5895d61d45

I hope this helps, If I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.