Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

When I switch the ignition on a message on the control panel

Customer Question

When I switch the ignition on a message on the control panel "airbag/B tensioner not active" I have just came back from the garage who cannot find anything wrong plaese help
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The B tensioner is for the the passenger airbag and what this message means is that there is a intermediate electrical fault in the passenger air bag assembly.The reason that the system has not set a code is either there is a loss of communication with the air bag or because the air bag assembly has not failed it will not normally set a code until it has failed.There is a clock spring that sits behind the airbag that is normally the cause of this and requires the airbag to be removed in order to replace this.