sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I have a 55 plate Ford Focus Diesel Estate Ghia. A red

Customer Question

I have a 55 plate Ford Focus Diesel Estate Ghia.

A red warning light and a message "Engine System Fault" has appeared on my dash from time to time. The first time it happened I called the AA, the mechanic plugged in his diagnostic lead but no fault codes was found. I took the car to my local mechanic, he also plugged in his diagnostic lead and again no fault code was displayed. He recommended changing the fuel filter, which I did and at first it seemed to cure the problem, however, the light and message has appeared again, and again when the diagnostic lead is plugged in no fault is shown. There doesn't appear to be any pattern, it sometime happens when the car is cold, it sometimes happens after a few miles or more, generally having stopped at a junction or traffic lights and then moving on. Any ideas??
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Which engine is fitted? Does the car have a DPF? If you're unsure do you have the chassis number of the car?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sean,

The engine is a TDCi 1753cc. I'm not sure what a DPF is but the chassis no. is WF0WXXGCDW5G81900

Eugene

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again Eugene,

first of all don't worry about the car having a DPF or not, no early 1.8 Focus had one fitted.

With regard to the fault depending on the diagnostic scanner used not all fault codes are picked up by lower end scanners.

There are a couple of common concerns on this engine, first the fuel filter which you've done so you can hopefully disregard this.

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve can stick. The only way to detect this other than with a code reader is to use a diagnostic tool that is capable of reading live data, this way the EGR position and MAF signals can be checked to make sure this is operating correctly.

Check the glow plug circuit including the glow plugs, people think the glow plugs are for cold starting only but on modern diesel engines they are for emission purposes so are constantly monitored by the engine management (PCM) if the PCM detects a fault then the warning will be displayed due to it been an emission concern.

Although more expensive I would recommend a Ford dealer using IDS to help diagnose this, the IDS system is a Ford designed system so can interpret the PCM signals and codes better than any other diagnostic tool on this model.

There are other faults that can give these symptoms even down to an instrument cluster fault but start with these points.

Let me know if I can assist further or if you have more questions regarding this and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your time Sean, I'll speak to my mechanic friend before completely closing the question if that's ok

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.
Hello again,
no problem.
Best regards,
Sean.