Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73554018

Hi, i have a 2007 focus ghia estate with the 2.0 tdci engine,

Customer Question

Hi, i have a 2007 focus ghia estate with the 2.0 tdci engine, when the engine is cold it is more difficult to start and when it does fire it runs very lumpy like it running on 2.5 cylinders with lots of white smoke from the exhaust. However once it has been running for 1 to 5 mins (duration depends on ambient temperature) the smoke clears and the running improves but is still not perfect, still using car daily economy is okish around 46mpg. The water is level and quality is fine as is the oil, so far it has had 4 recon injectors and 4 new glow plugs but no improvement. Any help greatly appreciated, kind regards
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

Mark :

Hello. My name is Mark and I will be assisting you today.

Mark :

The next thing to look at would be the engine temperature sensor. Also the injectors should have been coded to the ecu when they were replaced. Was this procedure carried out?

Mark :

If not, then the engine will run rough.

JACUSTOMER-ex6asyco- :

Hi Mark thanks for helping, they are the siemens injectors which according to essex diesels don't need programming just the bosch and delphi types? I have had the air temp sensor out it looks fine is there any way to test it with a multi meter etc?

Mark :

The engine temp sensor is coolant based, not the air temp sensor.

JACUSTOMER-ex6asyco- :

Is it separate to the gage sensor as the temp gage is working as per nomal

Mark :

Yes it is

JACUSTOMER-ex6asyco- :

Then not tried that one yet is there a way to test it?

Mark :

Easiest way is with a scan tool that shows live data.

Mark :

If the reading is say -35 or +140 or if the actual reading doesn't correspond to what it should be. ie a cold engine but the sensor reading say 60 deg.

JACUSTOMER-ex6asyco- :

I do have a latop based scan cable which shows live data but would have to try that tomorrow now, Are there any other parameters i should be looking at while i'm at it?

Mark :

Injection duration for all injectors.

JACUSTOMER-ex6asyco- :

I'm guessing they should all be the same reading?

Mark :

Virtually

Mark :

You can also try expose yourself to the exhaust gas when the engine is cold. If it stings your eyes then most likely it is unburnt fuel.

JACUSTOMER-ex6asyco- :

I think it is definitely un burned fuel as it just hangs in the air for a fair while and smells of dieselthe exhaust is clean after a min or two ish and the car runs much better but is still a little jerky at low speeds when holding constant revs

Mark :

The fact it gets better so quickly would suggest a coolant temp sensor problem. An injector problem would probably continue regardless of the engine temperature.

Mark :

I have to sign off just now but will be back on later.

JACUSTOMER-ex6asyco- :

Ok thanks for the help may catch you later

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Please remember to rate the answer given once you are satisfied. Feel free to ask follow-up questions at no extra charge.