Robert
Robert, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

2001 ka central locking locks door o.k but unable to open on

Customer Question

2001 ka central locking locks door o.k but unable to open on drivers and passengers doors i only have 1 key and was wondering if it is because it is worn
Category: Ford
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Is this just "manually using the key" opening and closing both doors your having a problem with?

Does the key itself feel as though its turning the lock or feel loose etc..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the key is ok and not turning itself,the door locks immediatly o.k but not to unlock

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there thanks for your reply..

Ok..As long as the key itself is working via the central locking using the buttons on the fob section of the key.and all doors open at the same time.then that should be ok - if the door isnt opening manaully say then its either going to be the lock,latch/mechanism itself is worn or broken - the lock has a mechanical link to the door latch itself - or door locks seizing which on the fiesta and Ka were very common and is just a case of alot of wd-40 sprayed into the lock and the key worked each time to help eventually free it up - or as you have suggested the key itself maybe worn if it doesnt unlock both doors,but the metal part end of the key would need to be very worn out to effect anything like that i would imagine - so as above if the lock isnt turning then it going to be either the lock or latch mechanisim..I do hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there is no key fob with this vehicle only manual from key giving me this problem of getting locked out of the car

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..there ..

Ok..Yes some KA's have 3 button key/fob in one - and others just have the ordinary key.like i say the key would need be really worn out for it not to operate the locks..if it locks ok with that key but does open then it cant be the key..If that key wont turn the lock or jams then lock is most likly at fault if lubrication wont work if it does turn but the doors wont open then it be the latch itself or its internal workings of the latch have worn out - .It is really a case of getting acces to the mechanisim insode and see if anything has come off ie: actuator rod from the key barrel attaches to the latch then try to move it manually