Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

my s max 3 years old 21000 miles has a sort of rumble coming

Customer Question

my s max 3 years old 21000 miles has a sort of rumble coming from front of car stationary and moving, a slight touch on accelerator and this rumble is heard, I was told there were design problems with the air intakes which could cause this but can find anything loose
2010 2.0 zetec manual 140
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

Does the noise go away at higher speeds?

Any warning lights coming on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no warning lights, noise seems to be at lower end of revs with running noise wouldn't know if its doing it at higher revs

Ok I really don't believe that you have a intake issue here.The vehicles have two issues that cause this type of noise.The first is the belt tensioner bearing goes bad and results in the noise that you are hearing,2nd the water pump shaft bearing begins to fail without causing a leak which also results in this noise. The first step is to get a automotive stethoscope sold at any parts stores and this will show exactly where the noise is coming from.
Let me know if you need further assistance,thank you.