Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

key wont open bonnet release behind badge,,how can i get bonnet

Customer Question

key wont open bonnet release behind badge,,how can i get bonnet open?,thankyou
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there ,good morning to you
Sorry for the delayed response

Hi there , good afternoon to you

Ok the fault lies with a broken bonnet release rod /clip
This rod is Attached to the bonnet latch and activates the latch when the key is turned
The end part of the rod breaks between the rod and the latch

The first thing to try before going any further is to see if the bonnet opens if you push the key inward and attempt to open it and also using your fingers pull the bonnet upward so pressure is applied to the latch
This sometimes works

If you still cannot get the bonnet open then the ONLY way to access it open it is to remove the 2 x 10 mm volts from the bonnet latch from underneath the vehicle
This is tight on the focus /max but manageable

Ok with the undershield dropped down remove the 4 x10 mm bolts that secure radiator bracket remove/drop the radiator downward this gives you more room to acess the latch bolts
And using a light look upward and you will see the 2x10 mm bolts that hold the latch to the body
What you need to do I'd remove these 2 bolts then using a suitable lever /screwdriver lever the latch out of its locating pegs and push the bonnet up
The bonnet will come up with the latch locked on to it
This is the only way of getting round this issue
This can be a tight job to do )removing the latch bolts as there is limited room
I personally use a ratchet spanner to remove them
Or a very small quarter drive ratchet and socket

Once removed the new part can be installed
This comes as a lock kit (you can just swap the old lock Into the new rod assembly
As building these locks isn't straight forward

if you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know
if you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER
kind regards In advance and have a nice day

Brian