Mike
Mike, Ford Technician
Experience:  Tech Expert
9261905

I JUMPED STARTED MY FIESTA 03 AND CROSSED THE JUMP LEADS ON

Customer Question

I JUMPED STARTED MY FIESTA 03 AND CROSSED THE JUMP LEADS ON THE BATTERY, I NOW HAVE THE PAD LOCK LIGHT ON THE DASHBOARD AND FEEL I HAVE BLOWN THE IMMOBILIZER MODULE, IS THIS CORRECT???? WHERE IS THIS LOCATED AND IS IT EASILY CHANGED
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome -

My name is MIKE - Im happy to help you ..

Im afraid that with this situation, crossing / connecting the cables back to front, can cause damage to the wiring on the car - it can melt the wiring looms either in the engine bay or up under the dash in seconds - so you need to start by carefully checking for any of this - any signs of this. If found , that is a major task and would need further investigation before progressing.

If non such is found, the other thing it can do is cause internal damage to the PCM - thats the main control unit on the car / computer. This is usually what's gets damaged in this situation as opposed to the immobiliser module - the fact that you have the light on generally actually proves that module is working and that the fault is elsewhere - ie, the Pcm or other as above.

So it now needs physical checking as above - but if you cannot find any such damage cause - then the next step has to be to have the systems checked diagnostically to determine what is actually damaged... and then go from there. ie - you dont want be replacing anything without a proper direction to go - and that is only determined with a plug in diagnostic test as above - that is the correct way to go then, which will save you time and money..

So thats the way to work through this one now - Im sorry this has happened for you - its an easy mistake to make - but can have all manner of consequences -and often no two are the same. So again, thats the way forward on this one now - Let me know how you go..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Please do click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.