Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a diesel ford focus titanium 2009 - serviced annually.

I have a diesel ford focus titanium 2009 - serviced annually. Today going up a steep bank the power went, tried changing down a gear but it just stopped. No warning lights, nothing. Managed to restart but it was sluggish and stopped again within 10 meters. I'm at a loss why. I do regularly travel at steady high speeds and do a combination of urban and motorway driving. Any clues what is going on?
Oh and I fuel at an Esso or similar (not supermarket)
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question.
From what you are describing a fuel injector has failed on the vehicle which is either over spraying and flooding a cylinder or under spraying and one of the cylinders is not being primed at all. Injector failures are common on these vehicles and the way to test the injectors is with a balance test,this will show the bad one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you give me an indication of costs for a balance test, and to replace the fuel injector?

Also is it an all day in the garage job, or perhaps a few days?

The balance test cost one hour of labor as this is done with a diagnostic machine. The fuel injectors run about 79.99 each and this job can be done in one day.
Let me know if you need further assistance and you can respond back to this question at anytime after rating positive if you need more help. Thank you.