sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

When sitting at a junction waiting to pull off in first the

Customer Question

When sitting at a junction waiting to pull off in first the rev counter shoots up a bit on its own in a s max?
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following is of assistance.

The Smax is equipped with a dual mass flywheel, this flywheel is in 2 parts 1 part is spring loaded against the other, the springs dampen any vibrations from the engine. Unfortunately it's very common for the springs in the flywheel to fail, this failure can become very rapid if the engine is stalled frequently. Ford became aware of these failures so programmed the engine management to speed up the engine if there was any danger it may stall. It's very noticeable if you try to set off with the engine at idle, this is when you see the rev counter move up as the engine management increases the engine speed.

I hope this clarifies thing for you but if I can assist further let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.