sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I have to replace the drive belt (automatic) tensioner on my

I have to replace the drive belt (automatic) tensioner on my 2005 front wheel drive transit and cannot remove tensioner It appears to be seized in its housing. How much force can be used safely to release the part from the housing and is the housing a part of the engine casing
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can offer you some assistance.

Is this the alternator belt tensioner you trying to release? I assume the vehicle has air conditioning, is this correct?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is the alternator belt tensioner and the vehicle does have air conditioning

It is front wheel drive as well

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again, sorry for the delay in replying.

To replace the belt tensioner or just remove the tension from the belt requires a special tool, the tension on the belt is very tight and the tensioner is stiff to move, the special tool is around a meter in length. Below shows the tool.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auxillary-Fan-Belt-Tensioner-Tool-Duratorq-Ford-Mondeo-Laser-5208-/310649771585?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item48542b5641

The tensioner housing isn't part of the engine, it is bolted to the block but to access the three bolts means removing the alternator. If you are replacing the fan belt you need to remove the alternator and tensioner anyway.

I'm not aware of any tensioners seizing on this engine and usually if a tensioner seizes the alternator belt will become slack and noisy.

Let me know if I can assist further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Sean

But there are two different types of tensioner on the transits

The tensioner I have is the one with one bolt securing it to the engine block which is where it pivots ( this is where it seems to be seized) and the sprung end fixed with a seperate bolt .

Both bolts are easily loosened but the pivot point is what appears to be seized in the block

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

as far as I'm aware on the 2005 FWD 2.0L diesel with A.C there is only one type of tensioner, the 2.4L is different. Your tensioner should be the same as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit-FA-Van-Fan-Drive-Alternator-Belt-Pulley-Tensioner-Genuine-New-/330949929501?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AFord%7CModel%3ATransit&hash=item4d0e272a1d#vi-ilComp

the tensioner is the other way up on the engine to this picture though, the pulley bolts isn't visible when fitted.

Is this the same tensioner?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes Sean this is the same tensioner

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

the large bolt covered with the red plastic on the left is the pivot, this bolts onto an aluminium bracket that is bolted to the engine. If this is seized then remove the alternator and unbolt the bracket, you can then take the tensioner and bracket out of the vehicle.

I hope this helps but if I can assist further let me know.

Best wishes,

Sean.