Mark
Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

I am getting a "Engine malfunction ! Service now" warning from

Customer Question

I am getting a "Engine malfunction ! Service now" warning from my NEw Ford Kuga (9000 miles) .. This has happened three times while stuck in heavy traffic, but also tonight when I moved the car back 50 yards from my neighbours drive after washing it. Have you heard of anyone else with this problem as my local dealer are unable to find the fault? any help will be gratefully received. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Mark :

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Mark :

Do you know if any fault codes are stored when the fault occurs?

Customer:

My son in law has a gizmo that reads codes but he found only general ford codes and the main dealer none, they say the car re-sets itself but they have updated the in car computer twice when I have taken the car back to them

Mark :

What codes did your son get?

Customer:

i think it was 001 but that was two weeks ago so my memory is hazy. The next day the main dealer had the car updated as I said and said no fault could be found . The car is a 2litre diesel by the way 6 speed manual box

Mark :

Symptoms

Symptoms of a P0001 DTC will include MIL (Malfunction indicator lamp) illumination, although there may be other symptoms.

Potential Causes

Well there is little to no good information on this code. The "Control Circuit/Open" indicates it may be an electrical problem related to the fuel volume regulator.

Possible Solutions

If you get this DTC, you may want to try reading the codes using another (if possible) higher quality code reader. Even clear the code and see if the code comes back. This code is not common and sometimes is shown in error due to the design of the code reader (e.g. the code reader function is a secondary function of a tuner device).

If this is a genuine engine code, then you'll want to inspect the wiring and connectors pertaining to the fuel volume regulator circuit and system and refer to a factory service manual for more specific troubleshooting steps.

Customer:

What is my next step given that my dealer is struggling to find faults do i suggest the wiring as you say or will that just get their back up?

Mark :

The best thing to do is try to get the car to the dealership when the fault is occurring. However, I know this isn't always possible. Intermittent faults that don't occur on a regular basis do reset themselves.

Mark :

Suggesting the wiring as a possibility wont get the garage back up. They already know this is a possibility. The problem is it is difficult to find when it is intermittent.

Customer:

Am I likely to cause damage to the car if the fault occurs as it seems to when I am well away from home or stuck in traffic? The three episode in traffic all occured 100+ miles from home and the dealer

Mark :

It is unlikely you will cause damage. In most cases, if you switch off the engine and restart it, the fault goes away.

Customer:

Thanks for your help, we will have to try to get to the garage while the fault is there and the yellow info light lit.

Mark :

You might want to buy one of these to help the garage or suggest they supply one to you to determine the fault.

Mark :

Some garages keep a few for this reason.

Mark :

Did the link work ok?

Customer:

I'll pass that in to my son in law he is far more clued up than me on this stuff!! Are we finished now Mark?

Mark :

If you have no more questions.

Customer:

No I think this will run but thanks again.Al

Mark :

No problem

Mark :

Please remember to rate my assistance.

Mark, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Qualified City & Guilds