Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Ford Focus 1.8TDCI. 08 plate. I noticed a whooshing noise coming

Ford Focus 1.8TDCI. 08 plate. I noticed a whooshing noise coming from the engine when accelerating but no whoosh when driving at a steady pace. I needed the car for a 240 mile round trip so I took a risk.

Everything was ok till I was almost home when the engine malfunction warning triangle light came on in the trip computer window. I slowed down and reset the trip which cleared the warning but the small "i" remained lit. There was no sign of blue smoke and the car drove normally. Slight odour of oil. When I got home I looked in the engine bay after removing the large foam noise damper and noticed oil around the rocker cover near where it joins to the turbo though no oil in the vicinity of the filler cap itself.

I gather split hoses on the intercooler or the other hose joining directly to the turbo are common faults on 1.8tdci engines and they cause the whooshing noise. There were no obvious splits when I looked but I know the splits could be on the underside of the hose.
I am very worried that by using the car with a split hose could I have damaged the turbo? What is your opinion?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 3 years ago.
Hi there good afternoon to you

Sorry for the delayed response

Ok the fault will lie with a split intercooler Hose at the drivers rear of the engine bay (you really need to run your fingers round the underside to feel the tear

This is a common issue on the 1.8 tdci

You won't do any further damage to the engine driving it with this hose but I would advise having it replaced (5 minute job ) as soon as you can as prolonged driving can cause excessive spot build up on the turbo vanes but this will take a long time )
After replacing the hose you may still see some black smoke on hard acceleration but this will disperse after a short time

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice day  

Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

What about the oil on and around the rocker cover? Is this a sign of a blown turbo or is it a minor symptom of the leaking air hose. I am pretty sure the oil did not come from the filler cap.

What about the "i" warning light which is lit (the one between the temperature and fuel gauge. Does it need to be reset by a main dealer or does it go out by iteslf once the fault has been repaired?

Hi there ,thanks

Ok the oil will most common be by oil spray from the hose as the there is oil present in the intercooler /air intske system once the hose is fitted and engine cleaned this will be clarified

The engine malfunction triangle has appeared due to the split hose
This is due to the engine detecting a boost issue (underboost )
This will log a fault code of p0299 and this may nedd to be cleared using a diagnostic scanner

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 

Brian