sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

I have a 2.0 tdci mondeo 53 plate and engine has irregular

I have a 2.0 tdci mondeo 53 plate and engine has irregular idle and no throttle control with pedal....help needed

Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope I can be of assistance.

Does this happen all the time or just when first starting the engine? I assume no warning lights are on, is this correct? When you mention no throttle control do you mean you press the accelerator and the engine speed stays at idle?

Let me know and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi sean yes this happens all the time,and yes when press the accelerator nothing happens and no warning lights on

many thanks simon

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

the first thing that springs to mind is an engine management calibration error, there was a concern with the minimum drive pulse of the injectors. With a reduction in the minimum drive pulse the fuel delivered doesn't meet the amount of fuel demanded as a consequence of this the engine management doesn't detect the engine as running usually the lack of throttle response is between a couple of seconds up to 3 minutes.

To cure this the latest calibration level available for the engine management needs to be downloaded into the PCM, the software number depends on the engine emission level, power output and transmission. For example a 130PS stage IV 6 speed transmission needs to be at 5S71-12K532-SE or higher, these calibrations were released in late 2006.

To update the calibration has to be done by a garage that subscribes to software updates, I personally would recommend Ford IDS to do this as this is checked and updated daily if required so will always load the latest software for the car.

It is possible there is a throttle pedal concern but this is very rare on this model and usually would result in a warning light showing.

Start with the software as this is a known issue which is why Ford released the updates originally.

Let me know if I can assist further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how much is this update and where can I get it

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

a PCM update takes around half an hour, you need to use a garage that subscribes to software updates or your local Ford dealer can do this for you. If you choose a Ford dealer refer them to Ford TSB 34/2006 which confirms the concern and repair.

Let me know if I can help any more.

Best wishes,

Sean.