Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046
Ford

Hope you can help I have a Ford S Max 2.0tdci titanium with

Hope you can help
I have... Show More
Hope you can help
I have a Ford S Max 2.0tdci titanium with a non operational tailgate latch.
I have replaced the latch and switch after it became tempremental but now it has packed up together with the reversing light, wiper and high level brake light.
I got an auto electrician in who sorted out a broken earth/ wiring that was worse for wear - it had failed at the umbilical to the tailgate with years of opening and closing of the tailgate.
However there is still no power going to the tailgate latch and switch (both worked when powered up directly to get the latch to release) Electicail has diagnosed that no power to the tailgate is not a wiring fault and may be the body control module and is a main dealer fix.
Have gone back to our main dealer who has serviced/ mot/ repaired from new who is talking circa £400 for the part £100is diagnosis plus fitting so about £600.
Cant justify this so any ideas on where I can get a recon/ second hand part (no online parts search sites have come back with anything)
If not then maybe If I knew where it was located and what it looked like I could get one out of a wrecked on at a scrapyard?
Help most appreciated...just cannot afford a £600 bill on such a minor but really irritating issue
Category: Ford
Show Less
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
replied 3 years ago.
Hi there ,good afternoon to you

Hopefully I can assist you with your issue

Ok the switch is an earth switch to the BCMii (Body Control Module /fusebox )
This BCMii is the the fuse box located in the passengers footwell it is held by a half turn clip and will just drop downward

I have Never seen or heard of any issues with these modules failing for such a fault

Ok looking through the diagram if the wiring is ok between the BCMii and the tail gate which your auto electrician says it is then the first check is to inspect FUSE 11 in the BCMii/fuse box as this is where the power to activate the latch runs through if this is blown which I suspect it will be due to the wiring chaffing /breaking at the tailgate hinge area

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice day  

Brian

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the response. I cant get to the car before Saturday as working away but will check this out and respond with feedback as soon as I can.

Thanks and fingers crossed

Eric

Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician replied 3 years ago.
Hi there Eric ,good evening to you

No worries look forward to your response

Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Brian