Gallagher99
Gallagher99, Senior Vehicle Technician
Experience:  SVQ LEVEL 3, QAULIFIED FORD SENIOR TECHNICIAN , ATA REGISTERD ,12 YEARS EXPERIENCE
17855046

Hi, I have just purchased a 2002 (52 plate) ford focus zetec

I have just purchased a 2002 (52 plate) ford focus zetec 1.6L petrol. It has over 120,000 miles on the clock so naturally I asked whether or not the timing belt has ever been replaced. I was told quite categorically by the garage and previous owner that this car has a chain, not a belt, and therefore I need not worry.

However, I have seen that I can buy timing belt + water pump kits from ebay for 2002 ford focus 1.6 litre engine, and also in ford forums people seem to be saying that petrol engines, especially zetec, from that era are belts. On the other hand, there is no mention of service interval for the timing belt in the car's service book or user handbook.

I need this matter clearing up once and for all - the previous owner insists its a chain.

Can anybody here shed any light on this and give me a definitive answer once and for all?

Regards,

David.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gallagher99 replied 4 years ago.
Hi there ,David ,good morning to you

Ok the 1.6 petrol focus is a (sigma) engine this has a timing belt fitted and Not a chain

The timing belt should be replaced every 100,000 miles or 10 years

You can buy timing belt kits that come complete with timing belt and tensioner

The water pump doesnt t run off the timing belt but I'd located behind the belt so it is advised if you are stripped down that far to replace it

I hope this has put your mind at rest over this issue

If you need anymore help or advice on this issue david please let me know 
If you are completley satisfied with my answer /advice 
PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER 
Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX and have a nice day  

Brian