sean
sean, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master Technician.
31670004

2008 FORD S-MAX 2.0L PETROL THE VEHICLE IS MASSIVLEY OVER FUELING WITH

2008 FORD S-MAX 2.0L PETROL THE VEHICLE IS MASSIVLEY OVER FUELING
WITH INJECTOR RAIL OUT AND CRANK OVER THE SPRAY IS NOT A MIST ITS A WATER FALL!!
FORD SAID FIT NEW FUEL PRESSURE RAIL AS REGULATOR BUILT IN SO WE DID AND STILL
THE SAME ANY IDEAS? CHANGE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR ASWELL
Category: Ford
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I hope the following assists you.

You need to check the fuel pressure, the information you've been given is incorrect, there is no pressure regulator in the fuel rail, the pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump in the tank. The fuel pressure should be 3.8 bar at idle plus or minus 0.2 bar.

Start with confirming the fuel pressure, if it's too high then replace the in tank pump.

Let me know if I can assist further and I'll reply as soon as I'm able to.

Best wishes,

Sean.

sean, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Master Technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have checked the fuel pressure it is 3.8 bar at cranking so this isn't the fault, any more idea???
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

as the fuel pressure is OK then there must be a reason for the PCM injecting so much fuel. What is the concern with the car, does it not start? When you turn the ignition on but not crank the engine is any fuel dripping from any injectors?

Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's pouring out the injectors only when you crank it ! It's had a new fuel rail and coolant temp sensor and it's still exactly the same!!
Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

you mention the ECT sensor, can you check live data and check this is giving an accurate reading? Although the sensor is new if there is a concern with the wiring especially an open circuit this puts a default value of -40 degrees into the PCM. The only things that can govern how much fuel is injected is the injector duration which is set by the PCM and the fuel pressure. If the fuel pressure is too high then obviously more fuel would be injected than should be but if the pressure is correct then the PCM is keeping the injectors open for too long.

If the ECT was showing too cold the engine would usually start when cold but not when hot. I assume the engine doesn't start, is this correct?

Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it doesnt start ! ect is reading correctly is at same temp as iat when cold

and tested by putting in hot water and it moes on live data!

Expert:  sean replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

if the injectors are overfueling and the ECT signal is correct then this must be due to an error in the PCM, check that the injectors do switch as they should and if you can check the injector duration. I can't imagine there would be a fault on all 4 injectors, the injection duration is either too long and is being set to this by the PCM for some reason or the PCM can't control the injector circuits correctly.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI JUST GOT NEW ECU AND HAD IT REPROGRAMMED . still the same!!anymore ideas customer going mad !! i hate cers !! cheers sean